After Italian food, TeX-Mex is probably my next favorite and in particular Tacos. Not that fast food shit either. The real deal. Flour tortillas, some kind of meat product, a little red onion, tomato, cilantro, lime. There is nothing better. Flour tortillas are easy to make at home and take no time at all.
You can pretty much put anything protein wise in a taco. Beef, chicken, pork, so I am not going to discuss the protein much here. However I will give you the recipe on how to make homemade flour tortillas. Once you make your own flour tortillas you’ll never buy the pre made tortillas from the store again.
The only special equipment you need to make your own flour tortillas is a cast iron pan. If your a true southerner then you have a cast iron skillet, or you were placed on this earth by aliens. In reality everyone should own one cast iron pan so the special equipment disclaimer for this recipe is more or less negligible. Just be advised.
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Table Salt
- 2 tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
- ¾ cup of room temperature Milk
- Put dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine
- Add Oil and Milk stir to combine
- Knead dough on floured surface for 2 to 3 minutes. You may add some bench flour during kneading its ok.
- Place kneaded dough in bowl and cover with clean dish towel for 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes pre heat cast iron pan over high heat
- Divide dough into ten equal parts and roll into golf ball sized balls.
- Roll each dough ball out on floured surface into 7-9 inch circle with rolling pin tortillas will be thin
- Place tortilla in screaming hot cast iron pan. Surface will bubble and blister within 45 seconds
- Flip tortilla and cook other side for another minute. Slight charing will occur.
- Place cooked tortillas on a plate and keep warm.